Monday, December 15, 2008

Lion tracking


I have not had a very eventful week in terms of research. I have been making a gap between the seasons to make sure that the buffalo have been feeding for a while on the new growth before I sample from them. I am planning to go out this week. We have had a good deal of rain over the last few days, with 75 mls on Friday night. We did spot a lovely African wild cat that posed nicely for some photos.

Last week I went out with Guy as he was going to track lions in an area that I knew some of my collared buffalo were in and I wanted to see if I could pick up any of the non-satellite collars. I got signals for the 2 satellite collars in the area, as well as for Vice, which is one that I had not heard from in a while. I did not see Vice, but had a very strong signal when we saw a fairly big herd next to the road, very close to where we found Barros the lion with another male, a female and two 4-6 month old cubs, which was quite exciting. They were all looking rather fat, so I hope that they do not decide to pick on any collared buffalo!

No comments:

Post a Comment