Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Wild dogs


My supervisor, Prof. Steve Harris, came out to visit myself and his other students for a few days, so I have spent a fair amount of time in town over the last week or so. He was generally very happy with my progress and made several very useful comments, which should help me to produce a better PhD. He spent several nights in Maun, so was understandably keen to get out to the bush, so he came out to HQ last night for a visit. We had a little potter about in the evening, going down to the Gomoti, which I have not visited in about a month. I was amazed by how high the water was - it has burst its banks in several places already. This morning we went to find the dogs, who were close by, and found them to be engaged in a bonding experience, which was very interesting.

B4, one of my store-on-board collars, one of the ones that had gone missing, has been picked up during a tracking flight. It was quite far east, which was the direction that I thought they may have gone in if the collars were still working. This is very good news, and hopefully means that the others will come back from wherever they went as well.

The collar that I sent off for repair has arrived, so I will check it out, then apply for darting permits to replace Chanel's collar, which is still double beeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment